Advice for Canadians: Register when travelling abroad
Mar. 01, 2019
Global Korean Post
The government takes seriously its responsibility to support Canadians travelling abroad.
It’s much easier for us to help if Canadians have registered with us and let us know where they are travelling. That is why the Government of Canada has a helpful service that can directly notify Canadian travellers during an emergency.
Registration of Canadians Abroad should definitely be part of any travel plans:
- When there is an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, we notify registered Canadians and provide them with important information, such as instructions during emergencies and updates to the Travel Advice and Advisories for the country they are visiting.
- If there is an emergency at home, we can notify travellers and facilitate contact between them and their family and friends in Canada.
- The service is free, fast, mobile-friendly and confidential.
- The best time to register is before leaving Canada, but it is also possible to register while travelling, whether online or in person at a Canadian government office abroad.
In addition to signing up for the service, before leaving, consider:
- giving a detailed travel itinerary and contact details to family or friends in Canada;
- providing family or friends with the telephone number for our Emergency Watch and Response Centre; and
- carrying contact information for the closest Canadian government offices abroad in the countries you plan to visit.
- Every year, Global Affairs Canada helps thousands of Canadians who run into problems while travelling, working, studying and living in other countries.
- In 2018, our consular officers abroad opened cases for:
- more than 10,000 passports reported lost or stolen abroad; and
- approximately 1,000 Canadians requiring medical assistance abroad; nearly one third of these cases occurred in popular sun destinations.
- Canadians requiring emergency assistance abroad can contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa anytime and from anywhere by calling collect +1 613 996 8885 or by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Travel.gc.ca has up-to-date travel advice and advisories for more than 230 destinations worldwide—a key reference for Canadians and the travel industry.