Markham launches Smart City Accelerator Research Program with Bell
Feb. 08, 2019
Global Korean Post
The City of Markham announced the launch of the Smart City Accelerator Research Program, a new partnership with Bell. The program will deploy Bell’s Smart City platform, an advanced solution of interconnected Internet of Things (IoT) applications, to improve the efficiency of municipal operations and enhance City services for residents.
Through its Digital Markham strategy, Markham aims to create a “frictionless city” through innovation and adoption of emerging technologies that will enhance the customer experience and improve the overall quality of life for Markham residents. The Smart City initiative with Bell will advance Markham’s digital journey and provide the opportunity for the City to test various sensor technologies in a number of different business areas.
“Markham will serve as a living lab and an incubator for innovation. We are delivering exceptional services to our residents at lower costs.” said Frank Scarpitti, Mayor of Markham. “
Planned initiatives for the Markham Smart City program include:
- Asset management – Remote tracking of usage and location of municipal equipment.
- Water leak detection – Sensors on water mains and hydrants to provide real-time status of water system conditions.
- Storm/flood water monitoring – Manhole and river sensors measure water levels to help manage flood risk and mitigate damage.
- Environmental monitoring – Temperature and humidity sensors from fixed locations across the city will provide weather data to guide decisions on management of city operations.
- Energy management – Sensors will monitor and support analysis of energy usage in municipal buildings to optimize energy management.