Get Free Flu Shot for you and others
Nov. 3, 2018
Global Korean Post
The flu (influenza) is a contagious virus that anyone can get.
The flu shot is recommended everyone 6 months old and older to protect yourself and others.
For those of 65 years old and older, two different products are available for the 2018/2019 season;
- standard-dosevaccine, which protects against 4 strains of flu virus
- high-dosevaccine, which protects against 3 strains of flu virus, but in higher doses
Anyone over the age of six months who either lives, works, or goes to school in Ontario can the flu shot at free of charge.
Flu vaccine is also available at participating pharmacy.
It takes about two weeks for the vaccination to reach its full effect. Children four and under, pregnant people and seniors are particularly at risk of serious complications due to the flu.
There were about 8,908 flu-related hospitalizations and among those, 619 deaths in Ontario last flu season.
Other tips to avoid getting and spreading the flu are as follow:
- Wash your hands often. Washing with soap and water for at least 15 seconds.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Don’t touch your face
- Stay at home when you’re sick
- Clean (and disinfect) surfaces and shared items
By Global Korean Post